Unintended pregnancy continues to be a common and difficult experience for women in Canada. It is a situation that each woman must face according to their own unique circumstances. She may find it helpful to discuss the options, including abortion, with a physician, public health professional, Planned Parenthood clinic or family member they can count on for non-judgmental listening and support. While many women may feel trapped by circumstance, there are options. Access to unbiased counseling and services is important.
- In Canada, therapeutic abortion is a safe, legal and generally accessible medical procedure available in hospitals and clinics.
- However, access levels may vary in smaller communities.
- Both parents may decide to raise the child together.
- The mother without a partner may decide to raise her child, and look for resources and support so that she does not have to do it alone.
- A family member may be able to help take care of the child until the mother is able to.
- Adoption - either open or closed adoption may be considered.